Search this Topic:
02/01/15 03:58 PM
02/01/15 09:20 PM
02/02/15 02:53 AM
02/02/15 08:24 PM
02/02/15 10:30 PM
sillymoose wrote:I really enjoyed this episode, and I'm so excited to get another season of your Survivor fanfics! I'm going to rank the cast with my opinions on each of them, and hopefully I'll answer the questions along the way
SPOILERS below if anybody hasn't read the episode yet
1. Anne - I LOVED her, and I was very disappointed to see her go. That being said, I really enjoyed her one-episode story arc as the hbic park ranger who would call out anybody that she didn't agree with. Her passive aggressiveness (or maybe just aggressiveness) was hilarious, especially her scene with starting the fire and then once she was voted out. So yeah, not loving that she's out. I guessed that she would be voted out, once everything happened at camp, but I don't think it was entirely predictable, as Gabby's vote still seemed to be up in the air before tribal council
2. Miles - So yeah. I was very worried that my two favorites would both be eliminated in the first episode. Luckily, Miles is still alive, but his position in his tribe isn't too good at the moment. With his poker background, I'm hoping he can get himself out of this hole, as I love his OTT mastermind personality. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Definitely happy that he wasn't voted out
3. Regina - I was impressed that she was able to figure out the twist, solely based off of the accents of everybody. I also enjoyed her extreme bossiness towards her entire tribe, and somehow not realizing it (she kinda realized it, but not really). She's not looking to be in a great position at the moment either (seems to be a common thread with my favorites), but I'm hoping she'll be able to find her niche soon
4. Angelo - He's adorable, and I hope his quirky attitude doesn't rub his tribemates the wrong way. I think he'll do well on his tribe eventually, once he is able to make more friends
5. Jun Wei - He seems like a really nice, older man, and he seems really endearing so far. Even though the whole fire-starting thing was similar to Dale (who I really disliked), Jun Wei seemed more genuine about the whole thing, and only proposed voting out Miles to save his own skin
6. Lucy - I think she had a fun moment when she was making fun of Angelo's personality, and I hope that side of her continues to shine through in future episodes
7. Imani - She was one of my favorites pre-show, but she didn't really do that much for me so far. She's kinda strategic and fun, but I have a feeling that she'll break out of her shell soon, and then I'll really enjoy her
8. Gabby - Another young, cute, female strategist. Even though I was disappointed with her decision to vote out Anne, it definitely seemed to make sense from a strategic point of view. She's in the power position of her tribe, but it'll be interesting to see what happens between her and David next episode
9. Rosalina - I'm definitely biased towards older women, and her intolerance of Angelo was also kinda funny during the fire-building scene. However, I can see her being booted soon, since I think they'll end up keeping Angelo around, and older women tend to get voted out early
10. Kai - He seems like a nice enough guy, and I was happy that he ended up siding with Miles. He'll probably make it pretty far since he won't make any enemies, but I can't imagine him making it all the way, just because he's too likable and too much of a threat
11. Edgardo - He looks like the life of the party at Suzaku. He wasn't really shown that much, but he has potential to be entertaining in the future
12. Trista - Her walking on her hands was kind of a funny random talent. I like her so far
13. David - Well, he has a good taste in allies. He seems kinda boring so far, but he can't be that bad if his best friend is Anne (but David's closest ally in Cagayan was Kass, and I like Kass a lot but dislike David, so who knows)
14. Ayman - We didn't get that much personality from him so far, but he's okay
15. Gus - He's okay too, but I think he's making a mistake by trusting Jasmine so easily
16. Meera - I found Carly kinda entertaining two seasons ago, but I'm not loving Meera so far. She's lazy without any of the craziness, but maybe she'll get better later on
17. Joe - He's okay, but I feel like I'm going to find him annoying in a few episodes
18. Evangeline - I'm not a huge fan of bible thumpers, and I just never really connected with her. I was pleasantly surprised to see her get voted out instead of Miles
19. Jim - He reminds me of Frank from Africa, who I really didn't like. He just seems like a workaholic with no sense of fun
20. Jasmine - I didn't really like her extreme sneakiness. I don't know, but she just kinda rubbed me the wrong way, from lying to Regina about not being bossy to being annoyed by Regina taking control to making a final two deal with Gus after just making one with Regina to ruining the tribe's party by wanting to go to sleep
Anyway, I loved this episode, and I was impressed how I have opinions on practically all 20 contestants, even though that's ridiculously hard to accomplish in one episode of a Survivor fan-fiction. I can't wait for future episodes!!!
02/02/15 10:38 PM
02/03/15 02:05 AM
Cool Beans wrote:Just finished the first episode, and I really enjoyed it. Great start.
Looking forward to getting to know these castaways better and seeing how the game progresses.
To your questions:
1. What did you think of the first two boots? Predictable or not? Happy with what happened?
I think you set them up well. Neither of the characters were ones I was sad to see go.
I felt Anne's was quite predictable, but I didn't mind that. I pretty much guessed she wouldn't last long from the very first Genbu scene, but I felt she had quite a good one-episode arc at the same time.
I thought Miles was a gonner, but Evangeline's boot still made sense to me. I was quite happy to see her go actually, as I've never been a fan of the overly religious types on Survivor.
2. Who is your favorite character?
In terms of entertainment/comedy value, Angelo comes out on top so far. Part of what makes his scenes so fun in this episode is that he seems genuinely nice, with all the awkwardness coming from cultural differences rather than making fun of anyone. He outshines his tribemates this episode, but I'm sure we'll see more of them coming up (plus, do I detect some chemistry between Ayman and Lucy, or is it just me?)
Other players that stand out for me so far are Jasmine, who had some really good strategic scenes, making her my early winner pick, and Jun Wei, who I feel has potential. I feel Miles, my pre-show favourite, has played too hard, too fast, and I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he made the merge if he continues down this route.
3. Are there any challenges that you would like to see this season?
Hmmm, let me think. Just thinking about the pre-merge, maybe the one where they have to chase the other tribe in a circle until one catches up with the other (sorry, don't know what it's called). And maybe one where one member of the tribe has to give directions to their blindfolded team-mates, that's always fun.
I'm sure whichever ones you choose to do will be good to read, I don't mind what the actual challenges themselves are, as long as they're exciting to read.
4. Any thoughts on who is in trouble on each tribe in the future
As I said above, Miles could be in trouble. David as well, due to the way the vote went on Genbu.
Looking forward to episode 2. Are you releasing them weekly?
02/03/15 11:33 PM
Great episode, and a great way to kick off the season! I am so thrilled you picked my suggestion as your twist! :) It adds even more interest for me!
Some quick thoughts:
Angelo: So far, my clear favorite. I love how energetic he is, and how the other members of his tribe tease him in their confessionals. It seems like he is a very loyal person though, so while I don't think he's going to win, I hope his loyalty makes him go deep! (I also loved how he talks like Judd!)
Regina: Definitely the strongest character in terms of the older females. She seems to play strategy while remaining social! I would love to see her team up with Egardo and Trista, and knock Jasmine out of the game. It would be random, but I think it would be great to see.
Miles: I worried that he was going to be like David/Garret from Cagayan, and exit the game early. He still may, but I think he's a little more intelligent than those two were. I think he's a very interesting character, and I would love to see him go deep!
Honorable mentions: Jim ( would love if he and Angelo formed an odd friendship, especially if Angelo is a Yankees fan! (assuming Jim likes the Red Sox)), Trista (seems like she could be a fun character, at least based on what little we found out about her)
Merra: As someone said earlier, she's like Carly from Zambia, only with out the fun craziness added in
Anne: Thought she was horribly undiplomatic, and kind of deserved what she got. Not saying I like Merra, but yelling at her like that was pretty stupid.
Jasmine: She seems very arrogant, and kind of phony (calling Regina honey, even though Regina is way older) Hope she leaves soon!
Honorable Mention: Evangeline (She was really annoying to me. Not because she was religious, but because that's all she was. She had nothing else to say!)
Good job taking out two of my bottom four!
In terms of who is in trouble, the only two I really want to see leave (and I think are in trouble) are Jasmin and Merra. Merra is useless, and very easily the next boot. I hope Jasmine's plotting turns on her!
I would love to see a samuri themed challenge! I feel like that is very Japanese, and would be really fun!
All in all, great episode! I look forward to the rest of the season!!
02/04/15 06:39 AM
02/08/15 02:30 PM
gorlion wrote:Great episode, and a great way to kick off the season! I am so thrilled you picked my suggestion as your twist! :) It adds even more interest for me!Some quick thoughts:Favorite contestants:Angelo: So far, my clear favorite. I love how energetic he is, and how the other members of his tribe tease him in their confessionals. It seems like he is a very loyal person though, so while I don't think he's going to win, I hope his loyalty makes him go deep! (I also loved how he talks like Judd!)Regina: Definitely the strongest character in terms of the older females. She seems to play strategy while remaining social! I would love to see her team up with Egardo and Trista, and knock Jasmine out of the game. It would be random, but I think it would be great to see.Miles: I worried that he was going to be like David/Garret from Cagayan, and exit the game early. He still may, but I think he's a little more intelligent than those two were. I think he's a very interesting character, and I would love to see him go deep!Honorable mentions: Jim ( would love if he and Angelo formed an odd friendship, especially if Angelo is a Yankees fan! (assuming Jim likes the Red Sox)), Trista (seems like she could be a fun character, at least based on what little we found out about her)Least favorites:Merra: As someone said earlier, she's like Carly from Zambia, only with out the fun craziness added inAnne: Thought she was horribly undiplomatic, and kind of deserved what she got. Not saying I like Merra, but yelling at her like that was pretty stupid.Jasmine: She seems very arrogant, and kind of phony (calling Regina honey, even though Regina is way older) Hope she leaves soon!Honorable Mention: Evangeline (She was really annoying to me. Not because she was religious, but because that's all she was. She had nothing else to say!)Good job taking out two of my bottom four!In terms of who is in trouble, the only two I really want to see leave (and I think are in trouble) are Jasmin and Merra. Merra is useless, and very easily the next boot. I hope Jasmine's plotting turns on her!I would love to see a samuri themed challenge! I feel like that is very Japanese, and would be really fun!All in all, great episode! I look forward to the rest of the season!!
02/08/15 02:33 PM
bryanpasa wrote:Oh, and yeah I kinda came off the wrong way. Haha.
What I mean is for same-sex relationships/bromantics something to happen. It'd be cool and different. It's Japan after all <3 Omg I'm delighted to here that. ^_^ <3
02/08/15 02:35 PM
02/08/15 05:36 PM
02/08/15 11:27 PM
02/09/15 05:43 PM
02/09/15 05:44 PM
02/09/15 06:22 PM
02/10/15 06:00 AM
02/11/15 01:45 AM
Answering questions first from both episodes:Episode 11. I felt pretty good overall about the first two boots - I thought both Evangeline and Anne had potential, but the reasons for their boots made sense, and they weren't so well developed or portrayed so sympathetically that I was heartbroken to see them go, or anything like that. I thought that both boots were about right in terms of predictability - neither was a complete shock, but you also didn't spend too much time trying to create a mountain of doubt, which was good. The best part of the boots was Imani/Jun Wei/Kai's trust test for Miles - not sure it was a good strategy for them in the game, but it was unique and interesting to read about, so credit to you for that. In terms of being happy with the overall outcome, I was actually hoping that the other two tribes (South and East) would have gone to tribal council in the first episode instead, but that's mostly because I identify with the West and North more (not so much directly in terms with the characters you have written, but how the United States exists outside of this fanfic). If I have time later, I will talk more about my thoughts on geography in another post.2. My favorite character (after reading both episodes) is Joe - I liked how he came up with such an accurate assessment of the East tribe (sorry for not using the tribe names you assigned - I just remember them by direction better). The only part that's really still in question is whether she will actually help him if/when he needs it down the line, or not. Also, although I liked Anne better than Meera, I thought it was good strategy for Joe to boot Anne first to avoid a potential tie (and likely losing firemaking tiebreaker for him/Gabby) if North went back to tribal council before any swap/merge. After the first episode only, I liked Joe, although I'm not sure he would have been my top favorite - it might have been Ayman. Being a nerd/in a STEM field myself, I root for STEM people, and I thought Ayman's connection with Lucy was a good move for him to make so early on (especially with Angelo so oblivious to it all!)3. Challenges - I agree with Cool Beans about the chase each other in a circle challenge - I like how it's mostly about brute strength, but also involves strategy (Tom Westman's idea to go faster in the shallows in Palau/who should drop or stay in, etc.) I'm glad that you're including it. My favorite challenge ever, I think, is this boat/battleship one from Episode 3 of Pearl Islands: I love how it is utter chaos, throwing water and splashing. I also like how it punishes overly aggressive players (those who stand up in their boats, or those who try to use the hook to push down in the wrong way, which ultimately can sink your own boat faster than the opponent's). It probably wouldn't be easy to write, but I think it's fun. It might be especially great with more than two tribes (although then you wouldn't have enough for each tribe to have more than one boat and one person with the oar, one person with the bucket, and one person with the hook in each boat). Another good challenge is the reward challenge from Episode 3 of China, where they had to get everyone from the opposing tribe off the boat and into the water before falling in themselves. In general, I enjoy battle-type challenges (as long they aren't too violent or result in people getting thrown out), partially for their potential to cause animosity between the tribes. In terms of other challenges (especially individual ones later in the game), I'll think about those a bit and perhaps write more in another post.4. Trouble on each tribe in the future - I'll assume that there won't be a swap for at least another episode or two. In the West, it's probably Miles, although I feel like his storyline isn't over yet. So maybe he gets an idol and Jun Wei goes? In the North, it should be Meera - all things considered, David took Anne's boot pretty well, and Meera still doesn't seem to be completely in the game. For the South, Jasmine looks in danger, but similar to Miles, I don't feel like her storyline is over yet. Maybe Regina shoots across her bow (using Edgardo/Trista) but takes out Gus instead, to try to pull her into line? The East is the hardest - Angelo is a loose cannon in terms of (not) thinking things through/getting overly frustrated by things he can't control, but he is strong and apparently part of Ayman/Lucy's plans, and Rosalina doesn't have an alliance but does have an idol (but will she play it correctly?) I'm almost thinking that one of Ayman/Lucy goes on idol blowback or some weird vote switch if East does go back to tribal before a swap/merge.Episode 21. I liked the twist at the reward challenge - both parts actually. The choice of reward down the line in finish order and the kidnapping (way better than any possible variation of Exile Island, btw) are both good. Interesting choice by South to take rice over fishing gear - immediate nourishment over something possibly better (protein)/variety? Would have liked to hear more explanation, but that could be coming. As for the kidnapping of Joe, I'm pretty sure it will have some impact, but it's not clear to me what exactly it will be right now. It could be just saving Rosalina for a round, or it could be much more (F3 of Joe/Gabby/Rosalina?)2. See my player-by-player list below.3. Joe has potential, of course, and I think Gabby could go with him awhile unless the two of them are betrayed by David after a swap or something. I think Imani will either go pretty far, or get screwed by a swap. Not sure if they will win, but at least one if not both of Edgardo/Trista should be playing for a good long while. East is murky.4. The episodes are a good length - I wouldn't want them any longer but I also think you have just the right amount of detail and development going on and wouldn't want you to cut back.PlayersI honestly don't truly dislike anyone at this point. In a broad sense, everyone falls into one of three groups for me - the great, the good, and the just okay.The Great*Joe - for reasons stated above. He could go bad, but for now he has the top spot.*Trista - I agree with bryanpasa that the college talk scene with Edgardo was very humanizing for her, and something I miss in the show on TV today. I feel like one of the subthemes of the season is smart vs. dumb players (perhaps another topic deserving more elaboration in another post), and despite her not going to college and being portrayed as falling right into what Regina wanted her to think, I still like her and feel she could go far.*Edgardo - I have a feeling he may be gay, although that hasn't turned up in the storyline yet. That's not why he's in the great, though - I just think it would be fun for him and Trista to go far. Glad he has somewhat of a storyline but isn't so in-your-face like some others lower on this list.*Ayman - like I said above, liked him better after the first episode than the second. I think he'd do best with an alliance rather than anything more than that with Lucy, but I'm not at all confident that that's the way things are going to go.*Lucy - tied with Ayman. Would like to hear more from her about being a single mom at some point, perhaps.*Imani - I feel she may have quite a story to tell and experience this season, but I'm still not sure the trust vote with Miles was a good thing.The Good*Kai - seems fun, but I'm not sure he's quite the right one to win this game (hard to pin down the exact reason). Weird feeling that he'll have a breakout challenge performance if he sticks around long enough.*Gabby - definitely good for aligning with Joe. Would like more backstory from her, and/or perhaps if there's a swap, it could be fun to see her put together a few more alliances. She seems like she could be good at that.*Regina - she's definitely playing the game. It will be interesting to see who wins the apparent feud between her and Jasmine. If she does win, I hope she doesn't get all high-and-mighty.*Jasmine - actually feeling the same about her as Regina, just don't want to see her get like Ami in Vanuatu if she wins the feud.*David - interesting Alaskan background, and I give him credit for not flipping out after Anne's boot. Will be interesting to see if he will work with Joe or not.*Gus - nothing objectionable about him. He may become a victim to the feud. Hopefully, we get to know more about him (beyond the fact that's he's a hard worker and gets along with Jasmine) before he goes.*Jun Wei - an interesting character. Hope that Miles doesn't get him, at least for now.*Rosalina - definitely deserves credit for finding the idol. Could be dangerous if there's a swap soon - I could see her getting along with a number of the players on the other tribes.*Jim - up until the challenge in the second episode, things seemed to be going well for him. Although he spent a lot of time being the leader (or trying to), he wasn't too annoying to me. He's the type of player I would probably try to use as a shield until at least the merge if I were playing the game (strong, but not so charismatic that he has absolute control of everyone else).The Just Okay*Angelo - I'm glad his defining characteristic is enthusiasm rather than intentionally being a douchebag to everyone (at least so far), but he's still a bit annoying to me at this point. If he were more like Eddie from Caramoan, he could be in the next group up.*Anne - I thought her park ranger background would help her more in the game, but she just wasn't good enough at making alliances or staying out of unnecessary fights. If she had played a little better/was still in the game, she would be in the next group up.*Evangeline - was glad that her religious beliefs did not create a big scene/issue (like Leslie in China), or worse, get used to twist the rope around the neck of an alliance (a la Upolu in South Pacific). Ultimately, though, she didn't bring much to the game.*Meera - I'm annoyed at how useless she is. She moved up a little bit in my estimation with a strong finish in the immunity challenge. I wonder if she can gain any more momentum?*Miles - Garrett (Cagayan) and Jean-Robert (China) have left me with bad feelings about poker players, and Miles in some ways seems all too familiar to them. At the same time, some of what he says does make sense, so I don't hate him even though he's at the bottom of this list. I don't think he'll ever really take a backseat to anyone (though maybe he should to advance his game). If he does something like give a Regina/Jasmine a necessary smackdown, he could rise up my rankings a bit.
02/11/15 08:06 PM
IdolsBlow wrote:Loved it! I love the setting, the theme, and so many of the people. There's really no one I can say I dislike as of yet, but I'm oddly enjoying Ayman. I feel like he'll screw up in a challenge and be an early boot like he almost was in this episode, but I feel like I can see some of my own traits in him as to how I would play the game. Hope to see more from him.
I like Gabby in terms of being a strategist, but I have merge boot vibes from her. I wanted to like Miles but he's way too paranoid. I like Angelo, but he kinda annoys me at times- preparing myself for him to be a Fabio type winner or an Eddie F4 boot. I also want to enjoy Imani, so hopefully she turns out well, too.
Share This Link
Message board courtesy of Survivor Sucks member support.
Benevolent dictatorship courtesy of Survivor Sucks Admin Idoits.
© 2017 Yuku. All rights reserved.